TITLE: Titles, or where have all the good names gone AUTHOR: Jim9137 DATE: 7/07/2005 09:09:00 ip. ----- BODY:
Okay, this is going to be completely unrelated article about anything which I shall type in grand total of fifteen minutes with all my mind focused on just on it so I apologize about all the errors and the like before hand. This is my method to post, right from the mind, right from the core of one's cortex to the magnificent bubbly things and today I shall discuss about game's names. Like, totally. I hope at least, because I'm not exactly on the best moods to do such thing. ANYWAY, NAMES, QUEUE MR ROBISNONS. --- Okay I have no place to go. Today, when I was dying from the heat and peering at the grey clouds of doom with fervent rage, I happened to notice System Shock 2's CD underneath few miniature bases and a red Staedler pen. If you don't know what Staedler pen is, don't ask me, because I have no clue what the most stuff on my table is. Also, my current candies are worst ever. So as I was looking at the CD, I got this odd sense of feel. I started wondering about the names of the game industry. I also like to twist names according my own whim, but that's just me. Most of the classical names, such as Blizzard, Fallout, System Shock, Warcraft, Half-Life and such, rarely bear anything more to the game than a little funny word play. Blizzard is a classic example of such name. But then we have Infogrames, which has no point at all except having extra r and info in it. I don't really understand the naming scheme behind company name's, it's so weird. Lucasarts, that makes sense. George Lucas founded it and he's such an egomaniac anyway. But then we have... Looking Glass. It sounds nifty, it has that clang on it. But what does it mean? How do you apply a Looking Glass into gaming? Is it a metaphor, is it something else? I have no idea dear sir. Apogee switched it's name to 3D Realms. From obscurity to straight "Ah! It's gotta be a game company!" you know, it helps us common folk. But I suppose company names don't need much of a naming anyway, I tend to use Mono-Cel in my business simulations, just because it's snazzy and most of all, boring name. Game names, now this is something I particularly wuuurve. They always have some sort of meaning in them, at least I pray that they do. Because I just remember I have ZPC on my shelf and I have no idea what it means. But mostly, yeah. It's a good policy you know, inform gamers about what you're going to except from the game. You aren't looking at Hack N Slash when you see "Stars above the Hemisphere of Ogzillian." Or you might, depends on how retarded the name designer is. Which in my case, is quite retarded. What does one except from a guy who has taken something else than regular substances? Anyway, I'm pretty darn glad games names have a proper meaning most of the time. Because otherwise we get the movie/book syndrome where the names very rarely mean anything or refer to the book's events. But still... I just wish I'd stop seeing Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 3 and X-Box freaking 360. Half-Life! What does it even mean! I cry! You fight zombies and you're suddenly Half-Life! AAEEEEI. And I'm not going to get into the X-Box freaking 360 business because it's so bloody silly I could rant about it for hours with ease. But names, figuring names is a hard task. Anyone who has played RPG's or anything similar where you're supposed to think of a name and you just don't want to use your possibly stupid sounding name in that particular universe because it makes you feel uneasy, knows what I'm talking about. Sure you can have a stock of names, you can use random name generators, but figuring names from the air is HARD. And especially if they should have some sort of meaning as well, as it happens to be in fiction these days. So understandably we get a freaking Master Chief occasionally, and I my unborn first child is crying baby tears on my dream girl's stomache whom I haven't had the chance to meet yet. Yet, it's silly. Creativity is something everyone has, but it rarely means that if you can figure huge plots of drama and epochal proportions, figuring names out of thin air is hard. But bloody Master Chief! HAVE MERCY ON MY UNBORN FIRST CHILD! And as far as the current naming goes in hardware -> It's pointless, no one reads the names, you're just fooling your customers with fancy numbers and I wish you'd stop breathing or give us some useful data in the name instead of pretending. Thank you, back to Dungeoncrawling. Damn those imps are hard. P.S: I love the Image uploading feature on Blogger.
Addendum: Okay! Thanks to Mandrake42, we all know where Looking Glass comes from! Excuse me while I quote: "It refers to an old tale Alice Through the Looking Glass (Must have been hard fitting that on a book cover). It's basically the same as Alice in Wonderland except this time Alice steps through a looking glass and gets transported to a world where in thing can happen. I think its supposed to be a metaphor for what looking glass hoped to achieve with its games." Yes. I knew there was something hideous going on here, didn't I tell you? Ha! Now to get some hot dogs.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Blogger Jim9137 EMAIL: URL: DATE: 08:18 I know it was his rank, but it's still bloody silly. I always thought it was Master Chef in the start.

And yeah, I read their history and it seems that 3D realms changed names about the time Duke Nukem 3D, Death Rally and such were released. Explains why they still sell old Apogee titles, hm? ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Anonymous Anonyymi EMAIL: URL: DATE: 21:12 half-life refers to the zombies, fool. ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Anonymous Anonyymi EMAIL: URL: DATE: 21:12 half-life refers to the zombies, fool. ----- --------